Bible Study - VERTICAL: Things Happen
- Giving thanks to God is an expression of worship. What is something God has done for you that you are thankful for or are celebrating? How have you experienced or witnessed his faithfulness since our last meeting?
- Where are you experiencing stress, anxiety or discouragement? How would you like to see God move in your life or in the life of someone close to you?
- What did you hear in this week’s sermon that was new or particularly interesting? Did anything stand out to you as puzzling or troubling?
- By way of introduction Chris noted: “I also hope this series has increased a sense of expectancy within us – that our praise brings pleasure to God, He’s worthy of it, and He responds to it.” Have these realities affected the way you engaged in worship the last few weeks? Has your attitude toward, or understanding of worship affected how you are connecting with God during the week? How? Have you sensed God’s response or God’s joy?
- Read Ephesians 5:18-19. Remember, Paul is exhorting the Ephesian believers to stop engaging in some destructive behaviors, and, instead, to be “filled with the Spirit.” This filling is directly connected to singing and speaking. So, how does this help us maintain a proper perspective on life? What might this look like when we are confronted with trials or when life gets hard?
- Read Colossians 3:15-17. When we sing as the church or alone before God, we are reminding our hearts about the things that are true of God. Have certain biblical truths been impressed upon you, either in corporate worship or in your private singing? As a result, how have you experienced transformation or growth in your life?
- Chris also noted that singing can testify to others (referencing Acts 16:25). He stated, “There are times when our praise testifies to others – it preaches.” Can you think of a time when the songs and praise of other brothers and sisters have encouraged you? What does this tell us about the body of Christ, the church?
- How can we pray for someone in your life that needs to hear the Good News of the Gospel?