Bible Study - KEEPING IT REAL: Painted Donkeys
- What is something God has done for you that you are thankful for or are celebrating? How have you experienced God’s goodness and faithfulness?
- Where are you experiencing stress, anxiety or discouragement? How would you like to see God move in your life or in the life of someone close to you?
- What did you hear in this week’s sermon that was new or particularly interesting? Did anything stand out to you as puzzling or troubling?
- Read Matthew 23:25-28. Chris mentioned that sometime people are tempted pose or pretend – be hypocritical – in an effort to gain something. What were the religious leaders in these passages trying to gain? What are you trying to gain when you pose or pretend to be more holy, spiritual or pure than you really are?
- Read Galatians 2:11-14. Make a list of the people mentioned in this passage whom you would consider are being hypocritical. Last week we saw that in the Sermon on the Mount Jesus referred to people who were doing good things (acts of righteousness) just to be seen by men as hypocrites. Is Peter doing something good (an act of righteousness) to be seen by men? What is the “act of righteousness” in this case? What do you think Peter is afraid of losing that makes him behave in a hypocritical way?
- Have there been times in your life when you acted like a hypocrite? Do you find that you are more likely to act like hypocrite when you are hoping to gain something, or when you are fearful of losing something? Why do you think that is?
- Read Jeremiah 37:9, I Corinthians 3:18, and James 1:22. Do you believe it’s possible for people to actually get to a place where they believe their own hype?
- Chris said, “At the root of much hypocrisy is profound insecurity.” How might remembering the cross and that God is our loving Father help us feel more secure?
- . What is a simple next step you could take in obedience to what you heard this week? Is there someone in your life who needs to hear the Good News of the Gospel? How can we join you in praying for that?