Bible Study - EASTER: Shelter in Place
Sermon-Based Bible Study – April 12, 2020
- What is something God has done for you that you are thankful for or are celebrating? How have you experienced his faithfulness to you this week?
- Where are you experiencing stress, anxiety or discouragement? How would you like to see God move in your life or in the life of someone close to you?
- What did you hear in this week’s sermon that was new or particularly interesting? Did anything stand out to you as puzzling or troubling?
- Read John 20:19-23
- When Jesus came to his disciples, the first thing he said to them was, “Peace be with you!” How would these words have encouraged the disciples who were in hiding? How does the peace of Jesus Christ change everything (ex: we have peace with God, peace with others, peace in this broken world)?
- Verse 20 tells us that the disciples were overjoyed. Their encounter with Jesus in this moment invigorated their faith. What does this show us about the power of encountering Jesus and living under his Lordship?
- Jesus breathes upon the disciples and they receive the power of the Holy Spirit. What does this teach us about the power of the Holy Spirit to help us live out this Christian life?
- 1 Peter 2:24 states: “He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness: “by his wounds you have been healed.” This is good news; Jesus died to forgive us of our sins. How does this verse encourage you to keep moving forward in faith? What are some ways that you want to grow and change and ‘live for righteousness’?
- Believing in Jesus is an on-going act. During this interesting time in our society, how have you experienced God deepening your faith? How is Jesus showing you to trust and believe more deeply in him?
- As we continue to observe the Dallas County shelter-in-place orders, how might God be leading you to love and serve those around you? Is there somebody in your sphere that needs some encouragement or support?